building is timber framed, constructed mainly of oak; the method
of framing is similar to 17th century domestic work with principal
posts supporting bessummer rails and wall plates with close
The framed walls were sensitively repaired
in 1908 and were generally in reasonable condition. However,
some ad hoc repairs over the years had left some important frame
members in a precarious state.
On the south elevation a false brick plinth had been formed
burying the sole plate in brickwork. During repairs it was found
that the sole plate had completely rotted away, together with
the first 200-300 mm of each of the timber posts supporting
the Gable end. It was necessary to piece-in new oak along the
timber frame has been thoroughly repaired, replacing timbers
weakened by wet-rot and beetle infestation with new oak.
damp proof course has been introduced to protect the new timber